Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Q & A


Knowing that love is to share
Each one believing that love never dies
Watching her eyes and hoping I'm always there
To be there and everywhere
Here, there and everywhere
The Beatles
So I thought today I would answers some questions. Most of them are questions I thought of to give a little insight into the blog:
Do you ever get writer's block and feel like you have nothing to say?
Oh yeah, all the time. So I try to come up with some gimmicks like say Questions and Answers to help me work through it. But the truth is when building a picture of mundane you can dress it up or paint it nice but it is still mundane. And my life away from the Ridge is pretty mundane, I mean as mundane as it can be and still have Ingrid Michaelson in your car last week.
What's the funniest thing you have seen at Fitness Ridge?
I have been asked this a few times and I don't really have a great answer. Sober karaoke was an absolute blast and fun but I don't think I would label it funny. I have seen things slip out of bathing suits that made me laugh. I have seen people barf in the workout room a few times and that's good for a chuckle. I think I am going to go with the whole pool class singing Close to You by the Carpenters.
What are you truly passionate about?
My whole life I have had two passions Sports and Music. For a long time Sports to me was watching, especially my beloved Terps. More recently it has been participating. I have become a volleyball freak. Sand volleyball in particular. I love it. Can't get enough and wish I could play everyday. And obviously I am obsessed with music, and going to see live music.
What would you do differently with the time you have spent at the Ridge?
I'd work harder. I get a little burnt out and have the ability to rationalize in my head that I have done so much, that I should be able to coast a little bit. It's dumb and I realize that but each trip is a great opportunity for me and I feel like each trip I waste a little of what I could be doing. I love the excuse that I am only human and I am doing the best I can, but it, like many other things is an excuse.
Seen any good TV lately?
I love some new shows. GLEE makes me so happy. It is smart, funny and like no other show on TV. The other new show I really like is Modern Family. My DVR is set for those two as well as 30 Rock, Survivor, Big Bang Theory, and How I met your Mother. The thing about a DVR is it makes me watch so much less TV. No more waiting around to watch a program, no more watching crap you don't really like. The only live Tv I watch nowadays is sports.
Wait you forgot The Biggest Loser?
I'm not a big fan of The Biggest Loser tv show and here is why. The show in my mind is off course. It has way too much drama and crying and trainers cussing and yelling at the people. Tara told me she was expected to burn 5000 calories a day and be in the gym some nights past 10pm. You wouldn't know that by watching the show. The product placement has gotten ridiculous. You get so little information on how many calories people are eating and what exactly they are eating. It's wonderful that they are showing that you can workout and lose weight I applaud them for that. I just wish they would explain in more detail exactly what the contestants are doing to achieve those numbers and how long between weigh ins it takes them to get there. I have this fear that people will come to the Resort lose 6 lbs and feel like they underperformed based on the numbers they see on the show.
What would you change at the BLR @ Fitness Ridge?
They need foremost a community room. A place where the campers can congregate at night and get to know each other. So many people come by themselves and head to their rooms each night right after dinner. To me one of the greatest things at the Ridge is the people and those who get to know many of the other campers have the best time. I would also turn Tuesday into must hike day. Everyone goes off road. No stop sign, no west canyon. It took me too long to venture off and wish I had been pushed earlier.
What do you hate people saying to you?
Number one easily is Are you okay? I hate this question. I promise you if I'm not okay I will let you know. If I'm bent over gasping for air, it just means that I am tired. If I am lying in the street, flopping around like a fish, don't ask me if I'm okay call 911. Just don't ask that question of me or anyone else it's just belittling and unnecessary.
Do you mind people asking you how much weight have you lost?
I don't like it. Mostly because I am embarrassed about how heavy I was. I still have plenty of weight to lose. I have never enjoyed talking about my weight. I am damn happy to talk about the things I couldn't do, but now can. I'm damn happy to talk about changes in me, discarded meds, feeling good. If you ask me nicely I will tell you but there are a million things I would rather talk about and high on the list is you.
What are your plans for the next year?
I don't really know. When I think I know where my life is headed I am usually surprised by how different it turns out. I hope to work hard, see lots of music, go to a Terps basketball game, spend some time at the Resort, hang out with my best friends in the world in March, play a ton of volleyball in the spring, summer and fall. I hope to be a little smarter, a little stronger, and a little better person.

Will you keep writing the blog?


Right now I don't see why not. I do struggle to find interesting things to blog about especially when I'm at home. I do, however, think that some people enjoy reading it ( I have no clue how many) I do think it helps some people in their search to learn more about The Resort and what it offers and if it is for them ( I have no clue how many) I know my Mom likes reading it (just the one) and I'd do anything to make her happy. Feel free to email me any other questions :) Peace, Jim





























































6 comments:

VAgirl said...

I just realized I've probably asked you if you were okay way too many times! I'm sorry :( You know it's never my intent to annoy you ;)

Sarah Marie said...

Noted that if you're flopping on the ground, 911 should be dialed!! Stay warm over there in WI :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, great post, but I have to say, I WAS THERE FOR THAT POOL CLASS!!! What a blast...It was so spontaneous-but don't forget who started the singing (you)! The only creepy thing...everyone knew ALL the words....

kenny said...

Hey Jim - I have another question for you. What do you eat when you're not at the Ridge? What's your biggest food battle?

Rockyrider said...

I have to share, the funniest thing I saw at the Ridge was when you put that sign at the finish line for the Stop Sign that said, "One More Mile to Go." Great post; you rock!

scot w said...

what is your best bet for bc tomorrow?