Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wide Open Spaces

Take another shot of courage
Wonder why the right words never come
You just get numb
It's another tequila sunrise,this old world
still looks the same
The Eagles

I made the five + hour drive to St Louis last week to see my brother Jay, my ridge buddy Betsey, and The Eagles and Dixie Chicks. None of which disappointed in any way. The Dixie Chicks played first and did a dozen tunes. Stayed away from politics, not that I wouldn't have agreed with anything they said, and played some old tunes and some newer stuff. The leader singer was sporting a summer buzz cut that was a complete wreck but she sounded great. Eagles came on second. They have been playing these songs for 40 years so they should sound good. Every song was a group hit or a solo hit for one of the members. Not much you would expect to hear was missing from the setlist. Hotel California, Take it to the Limit, Life in the Fast Lane, Desperado. Not hard to see why this band has the greatest selling album of all time. That being said I have now seen them twice and they are just not an electrifying live band. I'd see them again but they are down the list.

It was a perfect night with great weather, nice floor seats and fun friends. One thing about hanging out with ridge people outside the ridge is they are fun. It's not hard to see why we end up at a place like the Ridge. We tend to love the good things in life....maybe a little too much for our own good. Many props to Betsey for joining in the festivities. Not just the concert but also as the 3rd place finisher in our June Fitness challenge. I finished second although you'd never know it looking at these pictures as my face likes kind of fat. I'm going to blame it on the sun, or the angle or too much of the next picture. Congrats to Lisa for winning our first fitness challenge racking up an impressive 153 points to win by over 20 points. It was so much fun that we will be doing another one starting July 5th. This time there is a team aspect to it as the Boys will be taking on the Girls. Congrats to Brandi, Claire and Eric for competing as well. If you are interested in competing in the next challenge just drop me a note on facebook.
We spent the pre-show at a bar called Paddy O's which was right across the street from the stadium. It opens 81 days a year, every home St Louis Cardinal's game. But they opened for the concert crowd. If you happen to own some land next to a major league stadium you would be well advised to look into opening a place like this because the owners need a truck to hall away their money each night for sure. Jimbo has never been a fan of tequilla and thanks to Andrea I was reminded of that.

Some other things that have been going on: my monday night volleyball team won th 10 team double elimination tournament last week. Had to overcome a loss in the first championship match but rallied to win the second and take home the title. I had a very funny moment when the clerk at Walgreens asked me if I had been on TV lately. Was very glad I was buying some cards and Drano and not Ruffles and Snickers. He was very nice and said Congratulations. The World Cup has consumed more of my time than I would have liked. I have really enjoyed watching the games and think the whole event has been mesmerizing. I'm glad there are only a few games left. I have thrown my rooting to the Dutch Orange as the USA have been eliminated.

Happy Birthday to Jacky here being serenaded by the wait staff at Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise. I can't believe that June is over and July is starting. Summer goes just too fast. I am heading to Chicago tomorrow afternoon to see a show that I just learned of yesterday. Sara Bareilles is playing a breat cancer fundraising show at Hard Rock in Chicago. I made a reservation for two at the restaurant as soon as I found out, although I'm 99% sure I will be going by myself. I just couldn't bring myself to admit to the hostess at the restaurant that I was such a loser I was coming by myself. But I wouldn't miss it for sure. So if you are in Chicago July 1st and want to see the fabulous Sara live...give me a call. Hope all's well with you guys. Peace, Jim
















No comments: