Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One Year Ago Today



I came apart inside a world made of angry people

I found a boy who had a dream

Making everyone smile

He was sunshine

Colbie Caillat


So, It was one year ago today that I set out from Madison heading west for Fitness Ridge. What's the biggest difference between today and February 10th, 2008? The temperature in Madison that's what. When I left last year in was -10 and today it is 58 degrees. The nicest day we have had here since Halloween. Seriously my life has seen many changes in the last 12 months. If I had to pick one thing that has made me happiest in the last year it would easily be the number of new friends I have made. As you get older it seems that it is so much harder to meet new people but this year has been a treasure trove for me. All the great people I have met at the Ridge and this blog, all the people that I have met through volleyball, and even some relatives that I feel like I have reconnected with.




Well what else? Yea I weigh 3/4 of what I did a year ago that's very cool but more than the weight it the feeling that comes with it. Not a sense of accomplishment but more a sense of fitting in better, not having some of the fears that I had before, not stressing over things that used to stress me a lot. I'm not done by any stretch and I'll be back at the Ridge in a little over a month to kick start my summer, because winter has been shall we see stagnant. I can't wait to get back outside, I can't wait to get my toes in the sand, and I can't wait to be warm and sweaty and not have to walk outside and have my hair freeze by the time I get to the car.




I played volleyball Sunday night and I was ecstatic with the way my knee felt. I babied it for two weeks and totally forgot about it while playing. I wish I could say the same for my serve. Winter volleyball will make us better but my rag-tag team of athletes not volleyball players is getting schooled pretty well by people that have played a lot of competitive volleyball.




I don't have a ton of other new stuff but I felt that I should comment on my one year anniversary. Sunday's live music was fun even though I had to bribe the bartender to keep the TV on so I could watch a Terp win out of one eye while watching the stage with the other. Jacky leaves this weekend for her week at the Ridge with my sister-in-law. And even though it is 58 today winter is by no means close to done here. It is going to be cold this weekend. As always Peace and have a great week. Jim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Here's to many more!

Sabine said...

Hi,
I know the winter feeling. We are due for about 50 plus degrees F tomorrow, but the end is not in sight.
Congratulations on your anniversary. It's quite a journey and you have to be so proud of yourself.
I asm so looking forward to April. I need to lose a few pounds to get back to my FR departure weight but I have about 7 weeks.....
As much as I dread the gym around here, I am really looking forward to the intensity of FR, especially after watching BL tonight).
Stay well!
Sabine

Becky said...

Hi Jim,
I got your blog address from an article written about Fitness Ridge. Thanks for your great descriptions of it (in prior postings). I'm going there myself next month (3/22 - 4/19) and am excited about it - though I know it'll be hard work. (which I need to partake of).
If you have any advice for a first-timer, I'd be grateful. The only real negative I see so far is that there is no coffee. Yikes.
I've enjoyed your blog and really enjoy your lyrics at the beginning of each blog.... I think that way myself.
Best Regards, Becky (or Rebecca)