Sunday, March 28, 2010

Go Greased Lightning


I got chills they're multiplying
And I'm losing control
Cause the power you're supplying
It's Electrifying!
John Farrar/GREASE

It's the start of my last week in Utah, and the end of my longest trip ever to the Beehive state. I wasn't sure why Utahans chose the beehive as their state motto so like any good person alive in 2010 I googled it so here you have it: The beehive became the official state emblem on March 4, 1959. Utahans relate the beehive symbol to industry and the pioneer virtues of thrift and perseverance. And so I would like to think that while I have been a proud visitor to the Beehive state I have shown the traits of thrift (wise management of resources) and perseverance (persistent determination).

One thing I haven't done enough of is take in the sheer beauty that is Southern Utah. I know a lot of the you readers have never been here and I am sure the tourist board will love me for this. You really should come visit, it is truly amazing and really unlike any other place I have been for breathtaking views.







Tomorrow will be the last official, full resort, every last camper, Monday stop sign hike. I'm going to do it, against my better judgement, because it seems like the thing to do. I was planning to walk/run the tri course, which is really much flatter than stop sign, but I feel this pull to drag some unexpecting newbie to the top with me. Not going to try to beat my best time ever, I'll save that fun for the next trip. At this point I hopefully can avoid injury this week and can go into the tri feeling 100% or at least as close to 100% as I can.





Did a Friday afternoon hike with Joyce and Sharon. We headed out thinking we were going to Piano Rock, however, based on the winds that were whipping through the canyons and the thought of me, although well anchored, blowing off the side of the mountain, we ended up doing a tour of the park. No Jenny's canyon as it has closed for turtle mating season. As always good luck to my happy, amorous reptilian friends.





We walked to stop sign that day. I'm not saying where we started from, but let's just just agree that we started in a parking lot fairly near a guard shack. Did I mention that it was really cold and really windy?


















Butch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.
Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.
Sundance Kid: Oh, shit







Saturday night was graduation night and this really was a tremendous group of campers who I unfortunately didn't spend as much time with as I would have liked. Jason, from Tennessee, was clearly the heart of this group. It's people like him that come to the ridge, make everyone work harder, and feel better about themselves while doing it that make this place so special. He and many others leaving this week will be greatly missed, but they open the spaces for the 46 new campers headed our way.












So while many of the campers headed off to Vegas following graduation a good bunch stuck around and got to listen to me sing Olivia Newton John's portion of the Grease duet You're the one that I want. And for the record I do a much better ONJ than Eric does Travolta. Great fun, awesome singers, and thanks to my other partner Linda for letting me be the Sonny to her Cher. Hope everyone has an awesome week. 6 days until tri time. Wish me luck. Peace, Jim

3 comments:

Cat said...

Have a great week, and best of everything on your triathlon!! It is sad you leave the day I come, but you have been great with keeping me informed of the goings on there. Thank you for blogging!!

riss said...

You captured some beautiful pics :)

I hope the training is going well and I wish you the best in the triatholon. You are so much braver than I am!

I'm disappointed that I missed out on you doing ONJ!!

Betsey said...

JT! I cant believe your 2 months is up.. and your Tri is coming up!!! Good luck my friend!!! I will be rooting for you!!! I know you will do awesome!!!

Miss you!
-your twin