Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hike Me



I don't need a parachute, baby if I've got you
Baby if I've got you, I don't need a parachute
You're gonna catch me, you're gonna catch if I fall
Down

Ingrid Michaelson



Day two is always a hard day. Your body is in revolt from day one's activities, muscles you didn't know you had are sore, you didn't sleep all that well after the first night, and to top it off your pale pasty white wintery Wisconsin skin has a pink glow to it. But you don't have any choice but to drag your butt out of bed and onward into the week. Breakfast Tuesday morning consisted of a pineapple muffin and some mixed fruit. Pretty tasty.



Finally my "assessment hike" on Monday it didn't take an expert to know I was headed to the short bus for the special hikers. I was also headed to Johnson's Arch for my first hike. My van had 5 people assigned to it. 2 of whom didn't do any hike that morning and two of whom chose to walk on pavement. That left one hiker in my group doing the assigned hike. He went out with two guides. The hiking guides here are ridiculous. They never sweat, they never pant, and they never look like they are in any sort of discomfort. So we were quite the little group of 3. Two people in bright yellow hikewear calmly hiking while discussing their fabulous Valentine's dinners and one guy wheezing, sweating and bent over begging the Oxygen god to visit. But Hey, I was damn glad I went where I was assigned.



When we got back out to the parking lot there was a van unloading some horses. Me being me I never pass up a chance to ham a lucky picture with a horse. This guy was big, but friendly and very happy I was just standing next to him and not climbing aboard.









You never know what you'll run into out on the hikes. Glad I wasn't wearing my Redskin sweatshirt. I am really starting to find it hard to root for the team I grew up rooting for and their over the top racist nickname is one of the reasons why.








Something new for lunch today. Chicken coconut soup with chunks of avocado. Very, very good. I have eaten the soup two days in a row which maybe a record for me. Gave me the energy to do cardio sprint intervals on the treadmill, medicine ball sit-ups, and of course my end of the day deep water aerobics class.








Dinner was white bean chili with some tortilla strips on top. The weather was nice enough that we sat outside and ate














Dessert was one of my favorites. The chocolate vanilla fruit parfait. headed back to the room at 6 watched my Terps lose....again. what a disappointing year for them :( Listened to the new Ingrid song that graces today's blog and called it a night. Day two is done which leads me to my least favorite day of each trip the first Wednesday. Wish me luck. Peace and Native Americans, Jim

1 comment:

Sabine said...

so who were your lucky hike guides??? I do have my personal favourites, but that may be a generational thing too....