Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One more hump day



So, sure, I could just close my eyes.
Yeah, sure, trace and memorize,
But can you go back once you know

(You don't know me)
You don't know me at all
Ben Folds

So on to week 2, day 2 and 3. Let's talk about food for a second. One thing that has changed in the last few months and is really cool is the additional choices available at meals. There are always alternatives to the main meal that is being served. And the person to the left of me had one of these breakfast choices, the person to right another, and me a third. It's good to start such a long day with something you like. Feel free to guess which one I had.















My hiking group and I went to Temple Quarry on Tuesday. It was a new hike for me. Not really any climbing which I really like, but straight path hiking out and back, which I really don't like. The view was majestic and the thought of the 1800's era Mormons dragging these huge boulders miles to build their temple daunting to say the least. It was very near the site of the old airport in town which was very recently replaced by a brand new airport that I have yet to see. Not that I can imagine that any of you give a crap about St George's ability to land airplanes.











Very Happy to report that my table won the calorie challenge this week. It certainly helped that the slides were food from Outback. Not that I am an expert on Outback food or the calories of said food. It does help that I have a really good memory and I saw the same slides on my last trip to the ridge. Don't fear other than holding the trophy for a few seconds there is no prize for winning, well except the admiration of my tablemates :)




Wednesday's hike was my favorite hike, hidden pinyon/piano rock. It is a serious climb up slickrock. Piano Rock is the tiny dot on the top of this picture. Nothing brings me more joy than taking new campers on this hike, showing them where we are going, having them stare in disbelief and then having them conquer their fears. Most aren't afraid of the heights, they are afraid to try something they have never done or even imagined doing before.

It is extremely rewarding to watch these people. They truly inspire me and remind me why I keep coming back. I did take blood for the team. I would like to say there is some great story behind this but I just got scraped by a bush. And please don't worry Jacky I used some of that triple anti-biotic you sent along







Here is our group intersecting with the group of fast hikers. These people are truly like gazelles bounding across the rocks and sands. I don't think I will ever be a "fast" hiker, but I'm happy I am a steady hiker.










I will leave you with a before and after of my alternative lunch today. The tuna is really yummy. I am also leaving you with a joke about my favorite sport. It seems my Mom was really concerned because my blogs haven't been very funny lately so I want to assure her and anyone who reads it that indeed all is well. Hope it makes you laugh. I am shockingly headed to sleep. I mean it is almost 9:30. Peace and love, Jim































A group of 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders, accompanied by two female
teachers, went on a field trip to the local racetrack, (Churchill
Downs ) to learn about thoroughbred horses and its supporting
industry (bourbon), but mostly to see the horses.


When it was time to take the children to the restrooms, it was decided that
the girls would go with one teacher and the boys would go with the
other. The teacher assigned to the boys was waiting outside the
men's room when one of the boys came out and told her that none of
them could reach the high urinals.


Having no choice, she went inside, helped the boys with their pants, and
began hoisting the little boys up one by one, holding on to their
'wee-wees' to direct the flow away from their clothes.


As she lifted one, she couldn't help but notice that he was unusually
well-endowed. Trying not to show that she was staring the
teacher said, 'You must be in the 5th grade.'

'No, ma'am', he replied. 'I'm riding Silver Arrow in the seventh
race, but I appreciate your help.'

No comments: