Thursday, April 10, 2008

Summer Goals


Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missing
Many many men can't see the open road.

Many is a word that only leaves you guessing
Guessing 'bout a thing you really ought to know, ooh!
You really ought to know...
Led Zeppelin


So I have three main goals this summer 1) I want to exercise, eat well and lose weight, 2) I want to play as much volleyball as possible, and 3) I want to see as much live music as I can.

In keeping with that third goal I went to a local tavern last night to see a band called "No Quarter" They are a Led Zeppelin tribute band. Thats them in the picture above. Now I am not what you would call a huge Led Zep fan but I certainly respect their impact. Now these guys really rocked, they dressed like the Zep guys and did a fabulous job. They played for 3 hours non-stop, did acoustic songs, broke out a mandolin and a double neck guitar all for the 20 or so of us watching in a little Madison bar. Congrats to group that obviously knows what they are doing and has a lot of fun.

I didn't get home til 1 am and wanted no part of working out this morning, but I have a workout partner and so I dragged my butt out of bed and made it to the gym. My partner was a no show but that's not the point :) I got on the treadmill, did some upper body work and sweated for a good hour. And let me add that although I spent 3 hours in a bar last night it was just water and diet pepsi for me. I don't feel like I am missing out not drinking, and I don't crave it when I am there. I wish I could say the same for the Nachos the dude next to me got. Am I a bad man for wishing the stranger would go to the bathroom so I steal a few chips off his plate?

Today is windy, cold and rainy in Madison. Terrible for business but a great excuse to go see the the new Rolling Stones Imax concert movie, Shine a Light directed by Martin Scorcese. The Stones are without a doubt the hardest working band in the history of rock and roll. Mick gets a better workout on stage than I would get going to the stop sign three times. And they are all fit as drums. The movie is not Marty's freshman effort "The Last Waltz" by any measure but it is entertaining and a must see for any serious Stones fans. Casual fans are going to be a little bored because the concert is not a greatest hits show at all. Lot's of deep tracks and rarities. You do get to see Keith Richards in 50 feet of glory. There is no one on the planet who has packed more living into his life than Keith and it shows. But I have no doubt a good week for Keith is equal to 20 years of fun to us mere mortals. So to sum it up if you like the Stones you'll enjoy the ride and if you love the Stones you will be very entertained.

People are very kind given the chance. We have the jeopardy college tournament in town this weekend and it is way sold out, but a girl from South Carolina who is competing in the event dropped off tickets for all four of the tapings for us at the store. So we are going to go root for the girl eventhough I'm not sure where she goes to college. I tell you good karma is wonderful.

That's all the news here in Wisconsin, Have a fun weekend, go support your local musicians and Peace, Jim

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Good luck reaching your goals, Jim!

~Kelly