Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kickball!!!





And sometimes I don't have the energy
To prove everybody wrong
And I try my best to be strong
But you know it's so hard
It's so hard

It's so hard when it doesn't come easy
It's so hard when it doesn't come fast
It's so hard when it doesn't come easy
It's so hard
The Dixie Chicks

I have to kind of laugh every once in awhile, here at the Ridge when things that I said would be great additions to the program actually show up in the program. It just takes a couple years to actually get it implemented. It started with the volleyball nets in the pool, continued with Saturday night Karaoke, and the latest addition is Kickball. I have stressed so many times how important it is to find things you like to do that burn calories. I am really happy that the program now factors in some "fun" activities that let's you see that you don't have to be running on a treadmill to be active. There is so much more tennis, volleyball, basketball, bike riding and yes kickball that makes your stay in Utah more fun. And you really need to view exercise as fun or your not going to want to continue. And just so there is no misunderstanding, I am wretched when it comes to kickball. I'm not really in peak kicking condition right now but no excuse for my miserableness.








I'm not complaining mind you, just updating the status of my knee. It was sore from kickball which really can't be a good sign. My dream of a second triathlon seems to be evaporating as running on pavement is just not an option for me right now. The good news is that I have gotten a really nice tan from my countless hours in the pool. I have done more water aerobics than a senior center on steroids. There is no doubt that Friday afternoon is my favorite 3 hours of the week at the ridge. And this week it was spent playing volleyball in the pool, listening to great music, and enjoying perfect temperatures in the high 70's. Really the perfect trifecta for me.


Speaking of trifectas, it's Breeder's Cup weekend, and I'm looking forward to a spending my Saturday in the racebook in Mesquite watching the races. History in the making as the great race mare Zenyatta goes for 20 straight wins. I, of course, being the huge sentimentalist I am will be betting against her. Just before I climbed on top of the pyramid....not really.







The food has just been ridiculously good on this trip. Shrimp, rice and grilled veggies. I'm not really sure how it is possible to keep so many people on 1200 calories from killing each other but they do. I haven't said much about the elections this week. It was ugly for my team. ugly for things I believe in. And I am bemused by the people in Iowa voting out judges trying to make everyone equal. The divide in this country is so great it's hard to see reconciliation anytime i the near future. I was extra sad to see the only senator that shopped in Sunshine Daydream lose in Wisconsin.

Someone finally asked me what's with all the Dixie Chick tunes. After not listening to the Album Taking the Long Way for quite some time I realized that it is the most exceptional cd of the last decade. Flawless, on topic, poignant, and fun to listen to. Highly recommend giving it a listen.

I'm happy to report that Caroline is doing better, She is no longer on life support, no longer in immediate danger, She faces a long recovery, but I have seen her work at the Ridge and I am certain she gets it done. Godspeed to her and her family. Love, Jim











1 comment:

Sabine said...

Sabine here....
Glad Caroline is all right!
As to the other activities. last time there I LOVED when they did "gym class" goign to the park and playing games. I also played tennis for the first time in my life. I was nt good at it but burned tons of calories (in 110 degrees) and even better had so much fun.
Just booked my 4th trip for next summer. Technically I am at goal but I moved the goal post.
I should have nothing left to lose by the summer of 2011 but will go for fun and to meet up with friends and if course the trainers and hike guides at the ridge.