Thursday, November 4, 2010

Perspective

Never knowing
Shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments
We're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human
Amusing but confusing
Were trying but where is this all leading
Never Know
Jack Johnson

I understand that bad things happen to good people. I understand that the nature of our existence is fragile and that there are no guarantees. I grasp that the human body is a extraordinarily intricate machine and that it doesn't always work the way it was intended. I have a very hard time understanding how a very dear friend of mine can, two days shy of her 30th birthday be talking to me one moment and be leaving in ambulance 5 minutes later and and med-flighted to Salt Lake City in an attempt to save her life.

I have seen ambulances come to the grocery store, the bank, State St, Fitness Ridge and virtually everywhere. I know that people can and do fall sick anywhere and at anytime. In my 20 some weeks here, I believe I have seen the EMT's come to the Ridge 3 times and transport people twice. It took a large number of pieces to fall into the puzzle correctly for Caroline to be in Utah on November 1st. And while I felt bad at first that I helped facilitate her getting the last open spot when one opened last week, I now realize that if this had happened somewhere there was no one was there to help her, the outcome may have been substantially worse. She was swimming in the pool when she fell ill, got herself onto the pool deck by herself and asked for help.The people at the Ridge are trained to handle an emergency. The EMT arrived in 3 minutes and the Ambulance in 5.

Please send happy thoughts for a swift recovery to my friend Caroline Smith, who spent her 30th birthday in surgery in Salt Lake City. If you pray please include her in your prayers. Play some Jack Johnson for her, she got to meet him this year and I was so jealous.

Perspective is a very funny thing. Things that depress you and feel so limiting are really just little bumps. And though they seem so challenging and so troubling they really are nothing more than minor inconveniences. And on that count you are not going to hear me complain about my knees or complain about a tooth being pulled. I'm still here, I'm still working hard, I'm still fighting the good fight. I'm thankful for every opportunity I have given to me. I'm grateful for my friends. They bring smiles to my face on a daily basis. It's a new day, with new challenges, and all you can do is start each day, happy to be here, and with a simple promise to make the world a little better, and a little happier because of your presence. Peace and Lots and Lots of Love, Jim


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers and thoughts are with your friend Caroline.
You are so right....Those little "bumps" in the road are really nothing (may be with the exception of #29...lol). Too many people complain about things that are really not that important. Life is a precious gift and we all have to make the best of what we are given.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and my best to all my friends at the Ridge

Anonymous said...

the anonymus was me, Sabine from Canada
I had trouble with the google sign-up. Have a graqt day. Weh jsut had our first snow today!
Sabine