Monday, November 15, 2010

race day

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again
It's so far and out of sight
I really need someone to talk to, and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight

Snow is cold, rain is wet
Chills my soul right to the marrow
I won't be happy till I see you alone again
Till I'm home again and feeling right
Carole King

I wanted to do a short little blog about race day. I really wanted to do the triathlon this trip. I wavered back and forth as to whether it was a good idea to attempt it or not. I certainly didn't want to let any of the people down who had signed up from the ridge, nor did I want any of the new triathletes not to see me on the course. As late as Friday night I was sure there was no way I would attempt it. I was and am still limping fairly noticeably. Outdoor basketball on Thursday had reminded me that neither of my knees is near correct, and pounding them on the pavement was not a great idea.

I had spoken with the life coach earlier this week as I mentioned in an earlier blog about my issues of needing to please everyone else. Sometimes to the detriment of my own needs and my own pleasure. I spent a lot of time the last two days before the race asking myself who was I doing this race for? Did I want to do it for myself? I knew I could do it, I had done it before, It's all there on CNBC tape. I didn't feel the need to prove to myself that I was a triathlete. Most of the people who had done the last one with me and pledged to return and do this one were nowhere to be found. I didn't want to do the race. I wasn't doing the race for me. It would be stupid to risk injuring my knees any further. Again I didn't need to do this race for myself. But much like the scorpion, who just can't help himself and stings the turtle assuring his own death because that's his nature. I, of course, decided to do it.

I picked up my packet Friday evening after the guy handing out the packets said "Oh, you're doing the race" after assuming I wasn't and trying to bypass me. I was told by the race director at the counter that they would make sure they got my lap count correct this time which made me laugh. Got my race number 669. Glad I didn't get 666. Which I happened to see the next day pinned on to Laurel, a ridger.

We got there early. Got in line right away. I ended up in the first set of swimmers in lane #9. Shared the lane with a speedy swimmer who beat me by a about a minute and a half. But I felt damn good. Swimming, is not and will not, ever be my issue in these races. Headed out to the bike race changeover. Shared my naked backside with a happy little family of four watching the transition area. Walked my bike out to the start line and headed out into the morning pedaling my bike.

It was the same course as last year. I struggled in the same spots. Huffed up the same hills. Felt the same numbness in my fingers. Felt the same numbness in my toes. Felt new pain in both knees. Exasperated I made a deal with myself. Get through the ten mile bike and evaluate the knees and if they don't feel right then don't do the run. That second loop seemed so much longer than the first. I almost forgot about the numbness in my feet as the pain where the seat was grinding into my special area started to overwhelm me. I kept trying to adjust on the seat but I'm still feeling it. I pulled into the bike finish damn happy that the ride was over. Let me just say that everyone was really supportive on the course. They cheer, they shout your name and number, and there just seemed to be more of them lining the course this time. Thank you to them.

You walk your bike around a 100 yds from the finish to the transition area. The numbness in my legs was bad. The pain in my knees persistent. As I put the bike away. I decided that I just shouldn't do the last leg. It felt really bad to withdraw. I'm not used to quitting. But I was glad I started. I was glad I did more than most people did that morning. I still feel bad, however, that in some way I let some people down. Hopefully they understand that I need my knees to get me through a whole lot of volleyball. They will get better and I just didn't want to risk injuring them any further on this morning. The race comes around again in 6 months :)

I need to give some serious shoutouts to some of the first timers and some of the returners. To Randy, Laurel, Danielle, Melissa, Shaylee, Jen D. and Megan. Congrats on your first tri. To Nancy, Lisa, Gretchen, Jen and Tiffany it was fun to do the race with you for a second time. To the few people that were past guests and showed up race day but whom I don't know your names. Congrats as well. And to my friend, Deb from Dallas, who won her trip from the Biggest Loser show and who is getting married in February, I hope that torn calf muscle mends quickly. I get a couple days in Vegas and then head home. Hopefully they cancel winter this year :( Peace and love, Jim

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Way to go Jim!! So very proud of what you accomplished, you should be so proud of yourself, you deserve it. I really enjoy reading your posts, please continue to update with how you are doing. So sorry I did not see you to tell you goodbye before you left. Best of luck to you. Shannon :-)