Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Just you 'n me to carry on
Simple and free my lovely
To flow as one as love's reward
Lovin' you girl is so damn easy
CHICAGO
I want to wish everyone the Happiest of Easters. My readers know that I am not the most religious person to come down the lane, but I have been exposed to lots of varying faiths these last two years. I was raised Catholic, went to Jesuit high school, a Baptist university and a another Catholic university. I was taught the bible, preached to about the dangers of abortion, pre-marital sex, homosexuality, etc. And then one day I realized that the reason I was Catholic and the reason I had been taught all of these tenets of the Catholic faith came down to two very simple facts. I was born where I was born and I was born to Catholic parents. I'm pretty sure that if I was born in India or China or Samoa or Utah my beliefs would be different. I certainly respect the rights of people to have whatever beliefs soothe them, as for me I have chosen to embrace the Golden Rules of treating people as you would like them to treat you and the belief that good things happen to good people. And while it is possible that each group of people, be they Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Mormons or some other religions sect, are correct in some of their beliefs it's impossible that they are all correct in all of their beliefs.


I saw a ridiculously fun show last night. The band was called Transit Authority and they were a Minneapolis cover band that did two long sets of Chicago music. I love Chicago and their first 4 albums were ground breaking, amazing jazz and rock compilations and every band that followed them and incorporated the brass section owes Chicago a debt of gratitude. the fact they are not in the Rock and Roll hall of Fame is to me the halls greatest oversight.


My outdoor sand volleyball season starts tomorrow night and the weather forecast is for rain showers and 41 degree weather. Summer in Madison :) I am really excited about volleyball this summer. The first reason is because I am much better than I have been in the past, and secondly I just love competing and being outside. I really screwed up my 30's missing out on the feeling of being part of a team and am grateful I have been able to restart this part of my life.


This is actually a really fun time for me and I love the arrival of Spring/Summer. The next weeks will bring some great live music including Jason Mraz, Plain White T's, GLove, The Indigo Girls and Ani DiFranco. Jacky gets to take her dream trip to London, Florence,and Venice. The first Saturday in May means only one thing...Kentucky Derby time and opening day at Arlington Park. UW graduation and parents in town buying their kids lots graduation gifts. And of course 5 nights and 3 days of volleyball. I hope everyone has a wonderful week. I still have some Fitness Ridge stuff I want to talk about and will do so over the next few weeks. I hope the Easter Bunny was good to all of you remember no calories in bunny ears :) Peace, Jim

1 comment:

kenny said...

Hey Jim - I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on meeting you. I'm in my second week (again) at FR and am definitely in serious pain. Good times. Can't wait to hear about your follow up, now that you're home again.